- John Worsfold rules himself out of running for Carlton coach role
- Cleveland Cavaliers sweep Atlanta Hawks and breeze into NBA finals
- Shane Smeltz follows Jacques Faty in signing new deal with Sydney FC
- Brisbane Roar name John Aloisi as coach in former striker's second A-League shot
- Bournemouth’s Eddie Howe pips José Mourinho as LMA manager of the year
• Sevilla duo Rico and Vidal rewarded for impressive club form
• Spain play Costa Rica and Belarus next month
Spain coach Vicente del Bosque has called up uncapped Sevilla duo Sergio Rico and Aleix Vidal for next month’s internationals against Costa Rica and Belarus, but Chelsea forward Diego Costa misses out.
Goalkeeper Rico, 21, and winger Vidal, 25, have been rewarded for some impressive performances this season for the Andalusian club, who finished fifth in La Liga and face Dnipro in the Europa League final on Wednesday.Continue reading...
• Elm Park drifts after Atzeni prevaricates over choice of rides
Next week’s Derby is a hotter race than most people have realised, according to John Gosden, trainer of Golden Horn, who has been a hot favourite for the race since it became his definite target 10 days ago. Gosden now expects to be double-handed in the race, as his Jack Hobbs will run if the ground is not too fast, and both horses pleased him as they galloped around Tattenham Corner here on Tuesday morning during the Breakfast With The Stars media event.
But the trainer expressed discomfort when it was put to him that he had an excellent chance of what would be his second Derby success and pointed in particular to the foreign raiders Zawraq, Epicuris and Sumbal as he stressed what a difficult race it would be to win a week on Saturday. “You’re a little bit underestimating those horses,” Gosden told reporters.Continue reading...
• The 52-year-old Australian had emerged as ‘preferred candidate’ for role
• Andrew Strauss: ‘His expertise in the shorter forms of the game will be vital’
• Ben Stokes inspires England to thrilling Test win against New Zealand
The ECB have announced that Trevor Bayliss has been appointed as England’s new head coach. Bayliss, who will join the ECB next month and take charge of the team for the start of the Ashes series, says: “I firmly believe that the team has a bright future.”Continue reading...
View full article at stabroeknews.com
• Prince Ali’s team were also offered details of Sepp Blatter’s finances
• Sepp Blatter is scared of life after Fifa, says Michel Platini
Fifa presidential candidate Prince Ali bin al-Hussein’s election team informed police after being approached by an individual who said he could deliver 47 votes at Friday’s election.
The approach was made in April and the individual also offered to provide “what appeared to be illegally obtained” information relating to the financial activities of Fifa president Sepp Blatter, his campaign added.Continue reading...
For reasons best known to Stuart Lancaster, Chris Pennell is not among the 50 players the England head coach will gather around him before the World Cup.
In fact, while England’s finest prepare to gather at their Surrey base, Pennell will be at Centre Parcs making up for lost time with his 20-month-old daughter Harla. After that, while England think about transferring to Denver for altitude training, the Worcester full-back and his wife, Joanna, will be very much at sea-level, enjoying a holiday with family and friends in Devon.Continue reading...
• Bruno Alves, Caner Erkin and Mehmet Topuz also sent off late in second half
• Fenerbahce, chasing Süper Lig title, still drew 2-2 away at Istanbul Basaksehir
Fenerbahce ended the Super Lig season in farcical style, going down to seven players having had four players sent off from the 84th minute onwards. Those dismissed included substitute Pierre Webó who scored an equalising goal with two minutes of normal time remaining, but then committed a recklessly high foul in the sixth minute of injury time.
Many European leagues have been decided for weeks – if not months – but in Turkey things have been decided in the penultimate week.
Pierre Webo attempts a tackle > http://t.co/bcKQ0hvXHUContinue reading...
With the riders of the 2015 Giro d’Italia back into the saddle after a rest day, we take a look at some of the best images from the previous six stagesContinue reading...