- The Sochi Olympics legacy: ‘The city now feels like a ghost town’
- I didn’t campaign for Tom Jones’s Delilah to be banned | Letter: Dafydd Iwan
- How Yorkshire won the 2014 Tour de France: the Grandest Départ’s legacy
- Freemason police officers tried to ‘shift blame’ after Hillsborough inquest told
- Will season of goodwill last in boardrooms of Premier League? | Louise Taylor
At this time of year, it’s time to spare a thought for the less fortunate members of our society. The often sad, often lonely souls who drift around with little companionship, little by way of genuine human contact and warmth. The people who, for whatever reason, are thought of as having something ‘other’ about them. Something that doesn’t quite fit. As we all come together to celebrate a giving time of year, let us bring them in and offer them a hug.
Yes, today’s Rumour Mill goes out to the goalkeepers, those strange individuals who stand at one end of a field while 20 others play football. Liverpool need one, and by crikey they’re going after a big ‘un, according to in the know sages up and down the land. Petr Cech is the man they want to step into Brad Jones’s shoes, the Chelsea man having largely filled his time since the return of Thibaut Courtois by sitting on the bench and wailing on some drums. Apparently Liverpool want him on loan and José Mourinho, wily old fox that he is, reckons that it might help Chelsea out more to have Cech playing for someone else rather than being their reserve – the theory of course being that Liverpool aren’t a title rival anymore, that he won’t be able to play against Chelsea but will against teams that they are actually competing against. Oh José, you old card. It would be a brassy move by Liverpool, and perhaps slightly more likely/realistic is talk that they already have a £3m deal in the bag for Mexican stopper Guillermo Ochoa from Malaga.Continue reading...
• Boston, LA, San Francisco and Washington DC are contenders
• Rome lodges 2024 bid despite fears over funding and logistics
• Qatar’s chances of hosting 2024 improved by rule changes
The United States Olympic Committee has confirmed its intention to bid for the 2024 Olympic and Paralympic Games.
Boston, Los Angeles, San Francisco and Washington DC are in the running to become the bid’s host city and a decision on which city will spearhead the campaign will be made early next year.Continue reading...
- Adelaide United could be pitted against premiers in curtain-raiser
- FFA chiefs plan to expand competition
A Super Cup-style contest pitting the FFA Cup and A-League champions is a possibility to open the 2015/16 season after the success of the first Cup competition.
The inaugural FFA Cup, won by Adelaide United, has found a sweet spot in the Australian sporting landscape as the only national competition pitting professionals and amateurs.Continue reading...
- More thought still needed on Origin problem
- Some clubs fare noticeably worse in schedule
The long and tortured wait for the NRL draw is finally after. It has been released – after much consternation and seemingly constipation – more than 45 days after the AFL released their’s for a competition that starts a month later. Better late than never. It seems that the NRL will actually stage matches in 2015.
The draw has been met with the typical criticism, some fair, some not.Continue reading...