- Hopes high for Jamaican schools at Penn Relays
- Arnett Gardens depart for Haiti to hunt CONCACAF Champions League berth
- Inner-City seek second straight win in St James D2 football
- Caribbean Choice, ATL Automotive Limited team up to boost Jamaica Oaks Race Day
- J’can trio for junior Caribbean boxing tourney in Guyana
- Nick Kyrgios loses cool in fiery five-set Wimbledon win over Dustin Brown
- Wales v Belgium: Euro 2016 quarter-final – live!
- Crystal Palace submit £25m bid for Liverpool’s Christian Benteke
- Sandown win boosts Roger Charlton before Time Test Eclipse Stakes bid
- Manchester United confirm signing of Zlatan Ibrahimovic
- Euro 2016: Wales captain Ashley Williams equalises against Belgium
- Djokovic two sets down to Querrey when rain arrives
- Euro 2016: Radja Nainggolan screamer puts Belgium ahead
- Christian Benteke: Crystal Palace make £25m bid for Liverpool striker
- Wimbledon 2016: Tara Moore beaten by Svetlana Kuznetsova
• Belgium’s Jan Vertonghen ruled out of tournament with ankle injury
Chris Coleman wants his Wales players to stay hungry and try to advance in Friday’s quarter-final against Belgium, rather than merely being satisfied with being the last home nation still involved at Euro 2016.
“I’ve heard it said that Wales can’t lose whatever happens, but that’s not the way we are looking at it,” the manager said. “We see this as another big test, a huge challenge in a line of challenges that we have already met. The pressure is on us to keep performing, and that’s what we want to do, because you have to put this down as the biggest game our country has been involved in, which is a great place to be.Continue reading...
- Former first-round pick is currently without a team
- Heisman winner also facing trial over assault case
Johnny Manziel’s hopes of reviving his pro football career have hit another stumbling block after the NFL handed down a four-game suspension for violating the league’s substance abuse policy. The news was first reported by TMZ.
Last week, Manziel’s father described his son as a “druggie” – the former Browns quarterback also entered rehab in 2015 for an undisclosed problem. He is currently without a team and the suspension, along with an impending case over an alleged assault on his girlfriend, make it unlikely he will return to the NFL in the near future. If a team does decide to take a risk on Manziel before the start of the new season, he would be unavailable until week five – and even then the suspension could be extended depending on the outcome of the assault case.Continue reading...
The Serb demanded the ball that his opponent aced him with be examined, shortly before losing his match
Serbian tennis player Viktor Troicki unleashed a furious tirade at an umpire as the world No27 crashed out of Wimbledon.
Troicki, 30, screamed when Italian umpire Damiano Torella awarded an ace to his opponent, Spaniard Albert Ramos-Viñolas. He then snatched the ball from the ball boy’s hands and confronted the umpire, demanded that Torella “look at it”.Continue reading...
• Stable vet insists runner was given no medication
Dermot Weld, the trainer of the Derby winner Harzand, said on Thursday that he will consider an appeal against a €1,000 fine imposed by the Irish Turf Club’s referrals committee after one of his horses failed a post-race drug test.Continue reading...
• Mercedes’ Toto Wolf: ‘The likelihood of getting a penalty is high’
Lewis Hamilton has admitted that he is going to face an uphill battle to win this year’s Formula One world championship. He acknowledged in Austria that the penalties he expects to incur from having to change engine components later in the season will make the task of catching and overhauling his Mercedes team-mate, Nico Rosberg, an increasingly difficult task. The British driver has taken a fifth power unit for this weekend’s race at the Red Bull Ring, the last free replacement before grid penalties are imposed.Continue reading...
• Britain has largest Olympic boxing squad for 32 years
The Olympic gold medallist Nicola Adams will headline Britain’s largest Olympic boxing squad in 32 years at the Rio Games. Britain, the third-most successful country in Olympic boxing, will have a 12-strong squad in Brazil, with 10 men and two women.Continue reading...
View full article at stabroeknews.com
• Bath still looking to complete backroom staff for next season
Kyle Eastmond has left Bath and is expected to complete a move to Sale Sharks.
The England back is understood to have moved on after the club opted not to trigger a two-year contract extension that was agreed in January.Continue reading...
As the man responsible for handing a 16-year-old Thierry Henry his first taste of senior football and a former child prodigy himself, Claude Puel’s appointment as Southampton’s manager on Thursday should give the club’s fans plenty of reasons for feeling relieved.Continue reading...
• Scot has not dropped a set in his first two matches
The foundations of Andy Murray’s renewed partnership with Ivan Lendl look to be settling down like steel rods on a building site, and both of them will be delighted with his second quick win of the week.
After losing the first two games, Murray allowed Taiwan’s 32-year-old Lu Yen‑hsun just four more over an hour and 40 minutes – two minutes longer than it took him to send Liam Broady home on Tuesday.Continue reading...
• Drying ground results in Time Test shortening in betting
Adam Kirby, who will ride My Dream Boat in the Eclipse Stakes at Sandown Park on Saturday, said on Thursday that there was “definitely no fluke” about the four-year-old’s 16-1 success in the Prince of Wales’s Stakes at Royal Ascot earlier this month, and he remains in “tip-top shape” ahead of his meeting with The Gurkha this weekend.Continue reading...
• Muirfield’s removal from Open rota may have focused minds
An end to the Open Championship being staged at clubs with men-only membership policies is expected to move a step closer when Royal Troon votes on allowing women members on Friday.
A comprehensive review of policy was announced in January 2015 and was initially not due to be resolved until the “back end” of 2016, several months after the Ayrshire course stages the Open on 14-17 July.Continue reading...
- Euro 2016 quarter-final updates from the Stade Vélodrome in Marseille
- Santos feels Poland manager Nawalka is playing mind games
- Mail email@example.com. Tweet @GreggBakowski
Hello. You have to go back to 1982 to recall the last time Poland went as far in a major competition as they have done here. They finished third in the World Cup in Spain with a group of players spearheaded by Zbigniew Boniek that are largely considered to be Poland’s golden generation. Adam Nawalka’s current squad has some very talented players in it too but the team’s strength comes from a steely spine and an incredible worth ethic. They have already progressed further than many thought possible and a victory against Portugal tonight would put this team in Poland’s history books, right up there alongside the class of 82. The nation is fizzing with excitement. If only they could have done this four years ago when they were co-hosts. Ah well. The manager, Nawalka, has done a quite magnificent job. And to think, his appointment was greeted with a shrug of the shoulders.Continue reading...
British No 2 says logging on to Twitter like a form of self-punishment after crashing out in first round
Heather Watson, the British No 2 tennis player, has hit out at internet trolls for not being “brave enough” to confront her in person, following the targeting of Wimbledon competitors online.
Watson, 24, was subjected to a barrage of insults and criticism when she lost a gruelling three-set match against Annika Beck in the longest women’s contest of the tournament so far.Continue reading...